Columbus Female Institute Records
- Creation: 1847 - 1884
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
All unpublished materials are protected by copyright held by Mississippi University for Women. Permission to publish or reproduce must be requested in writing to the University Archivist. Published materials may also be protected by copyright, and the user must locate and request permission from copyright holder to publish or reproduce.
Biographical / Historical
Columbus Female Institute was an all girls' boarding school on the site of the current front campus of Mississippi University for Women that was in operation from 1847-1877. Its physical plant, which consisted of a "white house" building eventually demolished in 1929 and a large brick dormitory that later became Calloway Hall, was donated to the state of Mississippi as part of the creation of the Mississippi Industrial Institute and College. Numerous faculty and administrators of the CFI found employment at the II&C.
2.17 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Trustees book was originally housed at the Billups-Garth Archives at the ColumbusLowndes County Public Library and transferred to archives 4/20/2016. Transfer form available with accession record.
This record is slated for permanent retention.
Existence and Location of Originals
Possible that original of the trustee minutes book exists in Fant Library. If so, donor reserves right to take back photocopy.
: Lipscomb, W.L. (1909) A History of Columbus Mississippi During the 19th Century. (pp. 84). Birmingham, AL: Press of Dispatch.
- Columbus Female Institute Records
- Derek Webb
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description